Exit Accessibility View

Farming advice and support

Farming Advice and Support

Animal Health officers carry out routine and reactive visits in relation to feed and food hygiene.
They carry out inspections on farms, at manufacturers, and wholesalers.

They aim to ensure that the feed is safe not only for the consumption by animals, but the latter effect on humans when animals enter the food chain.

All feed hygiene premises (including livestock farms) must be registered with the Local council.


It may be necessary for an Animal Health Officer to occasionally visit your farm to inspect the premises. 
The officer may look at a variety of things such as Feed and Food Hygiene, records (veterinary/herd books etc.), animal accommodation and welfare.

Although officers try to keep general inspections to a minimum, if a complaint has been received then this will have to be investigated and may involve frequent visits.
An Animal Health Officer will always identify themselves and state why they are visiting.

Please Note: that under a variety of legislation, obstructing an Animal Health Officer is an offence.


Animal movement licencing was introduced to control the movement of a range of farm animals such as sheep, pigs and goats, to prevent the spread of disease.
The conditions which apply to these movements depends on the type of animal and the destination.

You can find all the details and the latest conditions on the DEFRA website.


If you are sending animals to slaughter you will need to complete a food chain information form.
These can be downloaded from the Food Standards Agency


Useful Information for Livestock Keepers

Further information can be found within the links below: 

Share this page

Last updated: 3 January 2018 | Last reviewed: 3 January 2018