Exit Accessibility View

Commercial waste

FAQs about commercial waste

As a commercial business you have a legal duty of care to make sure the waste you produce is stored, transported, disposed of, or recycled in a safe and legal manner, either by yourself or by a registered waste carrier.

Please note that the cost of commercial waste collections is not included within your business rates.  As the producer of the waste it is your responsibility to ensure it is managed appropriately.

You also need to keep records to show that you are complying with your duty of care.  If you cannot evidence how your waste is being managed and disposed of you are committing an offence and may incur a fixed penalty notice or potentially be taken to court.

For more information, we have produced a leaflet to help you manage your business waste which can be found in the downloads section of this page.


If you have a waste collection contract in place, your service provider should provide you with a copy of a waste transfer note (WTN).  This acts as  your evidence that the waste has been collected by a registered waste carrier and passed on to a licensed recycling or disposal facility.

If you transport your waste to a disposal facility yourself, you will need a waste transfer note (WTN) from the licensed recycling or disposal facility that accepts your waste.  You may also need to register with the Environment Agency as a registered waste carrier in order to transport your waste yourself.

You will need to keep these WTNs for a minimum of two years, and be able to produce them if required by an officer of the Environment Agency or Wiltshire Council.


No. Wiltshire's household recycling centres (HRC) are provided for the recycling of residents' own household waste only. These sites are not licensed to accept commercial waste or commercial recycling.

A business or person who undertakes paid work at a domestic property will produce commercial waste, which cannot be taken to a HRC for disposal.  The business, person or you have a duty to dispose of your commercial waste using a registered carrier.

If your business disposes of rubbish with your household waste or takes it to a household recycling centre, you are committing an offence.


You can employ anyone who is a registered waste carrier and they need to provide you with a waste transfer note for any waste they collect from you.  Registered waste carriers can be small firms or a ‘man with a van', as well as larger organisations.

There are a number of private sector providers of waste collection services who provide a commercial waste collection service throughout Wiltshire. You should be able to find contact details for those companies from a web site search.

Check that your chosen contractor has a valid Waste Carriers Licence number. You can check this with the Environment Agency


Yes. Any waste produced by a business is classed as commercial waste.
If you work from home, or in a small organisation, keep your commercial waste separate from your household waste and arrange for it to be collected by a licensed waste carrier.


Commercial waste services provided by Wiltshire Council

From 31 March 2018, the council will cease collecting commercial waste , if your business is one which the council has been collecting from, you will need to use an alternative contractor from this date.  We have written to all of our customers to confirm this.  
We have passed your details to our contractor, Hills Waste Solutions who will be in touch with you to discuss what services they can offer you should you wish to replace the service  that you previously had with the council.  You are free to get  quotes from alternative providers in order to ensure you are getting the right service  for your business.


The council has a duty to arrange for the collection of waste if requested to do so by a business but, rather than directly supplying this service, it will be procured from Hills Waste Solutions from 1 April 2018.
We can arrange for the collection of commercial waste by our contractor, if requested by a business to do so, and will add on the council’s  reasonable costs of making these arrangements.

Last updated: 6 August 2018 | Last reviewed: 6 August 2018