Coronavirus information - Commencement of ceremonies.
We are following guidance from central government, the General Register Office for England and Wales, Public Health England and Wiltshire Council. Read more on the GOV.UK website.
Can weddings go ahead?
Saturday 4 July is the date that has been announced by Central Government when ceremonies can recommence. Social distancing will still need to be adhered to which will reduce significantly the number of guests you can invite to attend. Please check with your venue about room capacity.
Marriages and civil partnerships under the special procedure for those who are seriously ill and not expected to recover, are taking place
If you wish to reschedule your ceremony, at your original venue, you can do so at no additional cost from the Registration Service up to one year from your original ceremony booking.
If you wish to cancel your ceremony completely and choose not to reschedule you will be subject to the normal terms and conditions of cancellation charges. Please refer to our fees page for our full cancellation policy.
If your authorities to marry run out before you can reschedule your ceremony with the venue we will offer new Notice of Marriage appointments free of charge to those who live in Wiltshire. These will have to be given at least 30 days before the date of your newly arranged ceremony.
Notice of marriage or civil partnership appointment
We are now taking bookings for notice of marriage/civil partnership appointments in our Chippenham, Salisbury and Trowbridge offices Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0300 003 4570
In line with General Register Office guidance and to adhere to social distancing rules within the offices, we are having to restrict face-to-face registration appointments to people who are required to be there only.
Ceremony at your local Registration Office. All Wiltshire Council sites are now smoke-free, both inside and outside the buildings
This ceremony has been put together by our professional, caring and dedicated Ceremonies Team and it includes vows, promises, music and readings.
The law in this country enables same sex couples to choose between entering into marriage or forming a civil partnership. If you have decided you would prefer a civil partnership our registration team will be happy to work with you to create a unique and individual ceremony to make your day very special.
Conversion of a Civil Partnership to Marriage
You can simply book an appointment to attend our Chippenham, Salisbury or Trowbridge Registration offices and complete the conversion paperwork.
Then if you choose:
We can complete your conversion process with a celebratory ceremony for you, your family and friends at a Registration Office or venue of your choice.
Online ceremony arrangements planner
Once you have booked your marriage ceremony with us, you can use our online planner to keep on track with your ceremony. You will be able see what stage you are at, when your marriage authorities are ready and when payment needs to be made. You will also be able to tell us about your ideas and preferences for your ceremony, and use the facility to write your personlised ceremony yourselves.
Do you have your heart set on a venue for your ceremony only to find out that it isn't licensed for marriages?
Would you like to hold your ceremony in a family garden or in a marquee?
- A Welcoming or Naming ceremony provides a unique opportunity to make promises to guide, nurture and protect your child
- It can include promises from specially chosen adults to show how much this child means to them and to offer you their support in your child's future
- We can provide a personal, relaxed and happy ceremony, tailored to your wishes, which can be held wherever and whenever you choose
- Children of any age can have a Welcoming Ceremony and if you have more than one child they can all take part in the same ceremony
- This could also be combined with other ceremonies
Celebration of Marriage
Who can have one?
- Couples that have already legally married or registered their civil partnership,we just need you to provide us with a copy of your marriage certificate.
- It's a great way to commemorate a special anniversary by renewing your vows
- If you married abroad or quietly in this country you may want to celebrate your union in the presence of wider family and friends
- If you are converting a civil partnership to marriage and want to share the moment with those who are important to you
- Celebrate your renewed commitment to each other