Exit Accessibility View

Drug and alcohol misuse

Rethink your drink

Answer the questions below about your drinking habits, then add up your total.

Your drinking habits

About you

What did you score?

ScoreWhat your score means
0-4You are a low risk drinker. This means you are less likely to develop an alcohol related illness in later life.

You may be drinking at increased risk levels. Continuing to drink at this level could have serious health implications in later life.

If you would like some support in reducing alcohol consumption, you may wish to contact the Swindon and Wiltshire Active Recovery Service

Alternatively, if you would like to make a range of changes to your lifestyle, contact the Wiltshire Council health trainers.

9+You are drinking at higher risk levels. Continuing to drink at this level is likely to cause a serious alcohol related illness.

If you would like some support in reducing alcohol consumption, you may wish to contact the Swindon and Wiltshire Active Recovery Service

Alternatively, if you would like to make a range of changes to your lifestyle, contact the Wiltshire Council health trainers.

Please note that the anonymised data will be collated to inform service development and commissioning in the future. For further information please see the GDPR information or Subject Information Notice linked on this page, or contact substancemisuseteam@wiltshire.gov.uk.

Drug and alcohol misuse - more information

Drug and alcohol misuse can have a significant impact on individuals, families, friends and the communities we live in. Providing high quality specialist services that are easy accessed by the people who really need is vital in reducing the health and social impacts of drug and alcohol misuse.

General information about the health effects of drugs and alcohol can be found on the NHS Choices website, where you can also find out how much alcohol is too much.

There are specialist services available for anyone who is experiencing problems with their use of alcohol and or drugs and those who are affected by it.

These services are based in the community and are free and confidential. The services are designed to help people get back on their feet by addressing their issues and helping them to make lasting, positive life changes. There is no time limit on the support and treatment on offer and the service’s aims are to be a stepping stone to a healthier life with more opportunities.

To find out more about the services available and how you, or someone you know, can be helped, contact Swindon and Wiltshire Active Recovery Service on 0345 603 6993.


Families Plus is devoted to family members and others who want help in understanding, coming to terms with and managing the effects of living with the substance misuse of someone else.

Families Plus is part of the charitable organisation, Action on Addiction and the services are provided by qualified and experienced staff.

To find out more contact Families Plus on 01747 832015 or visit the Action on Addiction website.


Services for young people

Motiv8 is a service for young people who need help with substance misuse:

  • Supporting young people aged 17 and under who are using drugs and/or alcohol
  • Providing confidential one-to-one support sessions
  • Meeting you at a convenient place of your choice
  • Giving advice and information on drugs and alcohol and other helpful organisations 
  • Providing services for pregnant young women who are using drugs and/or alcohol
  • Helping you get access to medical support
  • Advising you on how to live healthier
  • Helping young people understand the risks of taking drugs and alcohol
  • Supporting young people and act on your behalf when talking to school/college/family
  • Helping your family understand how they can help you
  • Helping you access other support services 
  • Tel: 0800 169 6136
  • Email info@dhimotiv8.org.uk
  • Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
  • If you feel that you need emergency help phone 999 and/or call your doctor

If you believe that a child is at risk from a parent or carer who appears to be incapacitated by substance misuse/mental instability and you cannot safeguard them in any other way you must contact the police by dialling 999 immediately.

  • You can talk to your school nurse or a trusted teacher who will help you find out what would best help
  • You can go to your Doctor
  • You could look at the NHS Choices website which offers useful information for teen boys and girls aged 15 - 18

You can contact one of the many help sites available nationally such as:

  • Talk to Frank - confidential drug advice
  • The Line - especially for young people, you can text on  07786 511111 or call on 0800 51 11 11
  • Childline - 0800 1111 - if you want to talk to someone about what is worrying you at any time of the night and day
  • ADFAM - 0207 553 7640 or admin@adfam.org.uk – if you want to talk a specialist about a family member who is using drugs and/or alcohol

Share this page

Last updated: 21 May 2018 | Last reviewed: 21 May 2018