Live blog: Springfield Community Campus official opening
Hello and welcome to our live blog from the official opening of Springfield Community Campus in Corsham. We'll be reporting live on the events and speeches at today's opening. If you're at the event today, why not tweet us your photos @wiltscouncil, or if you can't make the official opening, like our page on Facebook to watch our live Facebook videos of today's event!
Scroll down to read the latest news...
We're wrapping up here at Springfield Community Campus, but activities will continue until 3.30pm. We'll leave you with this fantastic artwork that is taking shape and will be displayed on the wall of the centre when it's finished. The artwork has been created by local artists, community groups and local schools. It looks great now, but will look even more spectacular when finished.
As well as celebrating the campus opening, this is also a great day to recognise one of Wiltshire's sporting heroes, Stephanie Millward, MBE.
The swimming pool is being named Stephanie Millward MBE Swimming Pool today to celebrate all that Steph has achieved.
Steph has won swimming medals at the Commonwealth Games, theIPC European Championships and the IPC World Championships, but it at the Paralympic Games that she has had her greatest success she won four silver medals and a bronze at London 2012, while in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 she won a fantastic two golds and a bronze medal. We hope Steph's superb achievements will inspire young people to want to get active and compete in all sports, and naming the pool after her will help with that.
We've just had the speeches here at Springfield Community Campus, and the cake has been cut. If you missed any of the speeches, you can watch them again on our Facebook page.
The fantastic Pound Sound choir are currently entertaining the crowds here at Springfield. Meanwhile, children are enjoying Bookstart Bear in the library, the climbing wall, the bouncy castle, face painting and much more!
The fun gets under way here at 1.30pm, so there's plenty of time to come down if you're in the Corsham area. While we wait for things to start, here are a few key facts about Springfield Community Campus:
- The campus has something for everyone, including a state-of-the-art fitness suite, a café, library, climbing wall, a community space and more.
- The centre is also home to Corsham's neighbourhood policing team and the health service will be moving in soon.
- There are 35 clubs and organisations which regularly use the centre including the local badminton club, Corsham Archery, the WI, Springfield Art Group, and the knitting club.
- The campus has more than 1,600 registered gym members and a swim school membership of 475.
- The popular library has 8,360 registered library members.
- Last year there were more than 115,000 visitors to the library.
- The campus has, at any one time, around 30 to 40 volunteers (we have more than 860 across the council) helping in a range of activities including the library, computer club, swimming and looking after the grounds.
12.35pm, 16 February 2017
Before we get under way here in Corsham, here's the programme of events for this afternoon. Do come along and give some of these events a try if you're in the area.
Programme of events:
|1:30pm - 3:30pm|
Bouncy castle and soft play
Climbing wall sessions (please book)
Craft workshop run by Heritage Art
Tablet to tablet exhibition
KiK radio station workshop
British Military Martial Arts
Springfield Arts Group
Fox Talbot Room
|1:30pm - 2pm||RPM||Brakespear Room|
|1:30pm - 2:30pm||Book Start bear||Library|
|1:40pm - 2pm||Pound Sound choir||Balcony|
|2pm - 3pm||Free swimming||Swimming pool|
Unveiling of plaque by Baroness Scott and
Stephanie Millward MBE
|2:15pm - 2:45pm||Body pump taster class||Awdrey Room|
|2:30pm - 2:50pm||Pound Sound choir||Balcony|