Chargeable collection of large items
If your large goods are unsuitable for reuse, the council can collect these from outside of your property for a charge. We are unable to enter your property to collect large items. We cannot collect any commercial items.
This is not a complete list, if you cannot see an item, phone us on 0300 456 0102 as some other items can be collected by special arrangement.
What can the council collect?
- Chairs and Tables
- Washing Machines
- Carpets and underlay
- Computer items
- Electrical items
- Garden furniture
- Portable heaters/coolers
- Trampolines if dismantled fully
- Single items under 50kg
- Bathtubs, sinks, toilets cisterns
- Builders' or DIY waste such as plasterboard
- Car parts and tyres
- Central heating boilers or tanks
- Ceramic tiles
- Clinical waste - see hazardous and clinical waste
- Coal bunkers
- Fire extinguishers or gas bottles
- Fluid containers such as oil drums and petrol cans
- Garden waste, soil or rubble
- Hazardous waste such as asbestos, fluorescent tubes, liquid waste
- Sheds and fence panels or fencing
- Rayburn or AGA cookers
- Mobility scooters
- Single items over 50kg
From 1 April 2019 the price for a large item collection will increase to £25.30 per item. Local authorities are able to recover reasonable collection costs, but cannot recover the costs associated with disposal. The new rate of £25.30 per item now more accurately reflects the actual costs incurred by the council in arranging and collecting each item of bulky household waste.
You will need to pay at the time of booking.Close
- You will be given a collection date at the time of booking and items will be collected at any time after 7am during that day
- Place your items outside so that they are clearly visible from the road by 7am on the collection day
- Collection crews are not allowed to enter your property to collect items under any circumstances
- Call us on 0300 456 0102 to arrange a collection from outside your property
- Only items listed at the time of booking will be collected
- If you need to change the items being collected for any reason, call the booking line at least two days before the collection date and we will do our best to arrange this
- In the event of having to cancel your collection, refunds will only be issued if you call us on 0300 456 0102 at least two days before the collection due date
Please be aware that many of these charity organisations have been affected by Covid-19 so are not operating currently but hope to reopen soon. Please contact them directly to ensure they can accept your donation.
Leaving items on the doorsteps of charity shops without arrangement is not permitted and constitutes fly-tipping.