Exit Accessibility View

Road closures and disruptions

Our road network

The interactive map of Wiltshire displays details of any roadworks being carried out by the council and utility companies.

Emergency works won't appear immediately due to their urgent nature. They will be added to the reporting system when we are notified about them.

Trunk roads and motorways

Trunk roads that run through Wiltshire (A303, A36, A417 and A419) and the M4 motorway are operated and maintained by Highways England.

Utility Company
Emergency Contact Numbers
Bristol Water Plc
0345 702 3797
Openreach (BT)
03301 233 753
GTC Pipelines
0800 111 999
National Grid Transico
0800 404 090
Scottish and Southern Energy Plc
0800 072 7278
Southern Gas Networks
0800 111 999
Southern Water Services
0330 303 0368
Thames Water Utilities
0800 714 614
Virgin Media
0800 649 1122
Wales and West Utilities
0800 111 999
Wessex Water Plc
0345 600 4600
Wiltshire Council - Out of hours duty engineer
0300 456 0105

Wiltshire Council (the Highway Authority) provides a facility for temporary road closures.

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 S.14 (Street Works)

  • Only the Highway Authority (Wiltshire Council), Statutory Undertakes and the Police can apply to close a road.
  • Please contact the Highways Department at trafficorders@wiltshire.gov.uk or call 0300 456 0105 if you believe you require road closure. A minimum of twelve weeks notice is required.
  • A fixed fee of £1213 is issued to cover the processing and advertising costs related to road closure.
  • To apply please complete the TRO application form document which can be found at the bottom of this page.
  • Traffic regulation order consultations
  • Formal authorisation is required for any promoter wishing to use Portable Traffic Signals on the highway
  • It is an offence to place and operate Portable Traffic Signals on the highway without approval from the Highway Authority as given in Traffic Signs regulation and general Directions 2002 Part 11 Direction 53

Apply to use portable traffic signals


Please refer to documents in the downloads section.

  • Signals procedure
  • Signals off protocol
  • Signals off risk assessment

We welcome your feedback on our service, please email any comments to our Street Works team streetworks@wiltshire.gov.uk.

Share this page

Latest tweets


M4 Junction 17 Works: The Westbound On Slip and Westbound Off Slip at the M4 junction 17 will be closed for one nig… https://t.co/deNM1LdU7o

20 Apr 2018 08:38


RT @Ringway_Wilts: #Wiltshire #Ringway Parish Stewards out and about maintaining the local network....before and after https://t.co/atacsTM…

18 Apr 2018 09:03


RT @ConnectingWilts: The latest update from @SwindonCouncil on the M4 Junction 16 improvement works https://t.co/6AVfiQAWM2. https://t.co/j…

18 Apr 2018 08:56


You can use the MyWiltshire app to report and track highway issues in Wiltshire. Download the app or use the online… https://t.co/JjBrCWeZNY

18 Apr 2018 08:53

Last updated: 16 March 2018 | Last reviewed: 16 March 2018