What can I say about my role in Building Bridges?
Our official purpose is: ‘Helping people to overcome their barriers to education and employment' - but we cover so much more than that.
Funded by the Big Lottery Fund and European Social Fund, we are a small team based in County Hall, Trowbridge. Covering Wiltshire and Swindon we work with people from 15-65, from many different walks of life, helping support them on their journeys - whatever they may be.
We provide a wide range of services for participants:
- Teaching employability skills
- Writing CV's
- Arranging transport to work
- Helping with budgeting
- Debt advice
- Accessing local food banks
- Finding volunteering opportunities
- Giving support in meetings with social services
- Advising on mental health
- Learning and disability needs
- Helping access benefits
- Finding new jobs and providing ongoing support once they have started
At this point you may want to grab a cup of tea as there are many more…
Other services include:
- Getting out of their homes
- Accessing transport services
- Arranging placements in schools and nurseries
- Building confidence
- Gaining foundation skills in Maths and English
- Finding or retaining housing
- Learning English
- Starting a business
- Accessing open university
- Learning to drive a forklift
The service we offer is so diverse we would need another blog to cover everything!
We access services across the County. We have fifty programme partners through our Managing Partner, Community First. These include:
- Citizens Advice
- Build a Bike
- Julian House
- The Learning Curve
- Splitz to name but a few
To access local services, we also work with a variety of teams at Wiltshire Council.
Our days are busy, filled with a variety of tasks:
- Travelling to meet participants to catch up
- Take new bookings or plan new actions
- Liaising with our partner agencies to book meetings
- Courses and support
- Updating records
- Managing a busy diary
- Fielding the numerous emails and phone calls that come with the role
We also try to fit in a quick break at some point in the day, though this can often end up being in a lay-by!
To take part in the Building Bridges Programme you must be aged 15 or over, living in Wiltshire or Swindon, not currently working and allowed to work in the UK. You can be referred by someone else or make a self-referral. You will then we allocated a Development Worker. The Development Worker will contact you to arrange an appointment to discuss your requirements. You will then receive 1 to 1 help and support at a pace to suit you. If you would like to find out more or sign up for the Building Bridges programme then please get in touch. Building Bridges We'd love to hear from you!
Growing a lifelong love of learning with communities in Wiltshire.
- Discover opportunities
- Develop Skills
- Achieve ambitions