- Stick with mates a similar age to you a good mate won't ask you to do stuff you're uncomfortable with.
- If you feel you can't say no, ask yourself: ‘Am I in a safe situation?'
- If someone offers you something for free, ask what they want in return.
- Listen to your body; a fast, pounding heartbeat and churning stomach are signs you feel unsafe.
- Be careful what personal details including photos you give out online, by phone, or in real life.
- Make sure you know where you are going and how to get home. Have credit and charge on your phone.
- Make sure someone you trust always knows where you are.
- Drinking and taking drugs can make you unaware of unsafe situations and you can become a target for people who may hurt you.
Think very carefully before going to a house party, hotel or leaving a pub or club with someone you have just met. If in doubt, don't go!
Plan your journey to and from home. If you get a taxi or minicab, make sure it's licensed. Don't accept lifts from someone who has taken drugs or had too much to drink.